Tonight, we set the clocks back an hour for daylight savings, and it’s got me contemplating a topic that’s been on my mind for a while now: Time.
To be frank, I never seem to have enough of it. I know I’m an efficient person, yet, when I look to other creatives and artpreneurs around me, I can’t help but think, “How are they doing so much?”
I especially have this thought when my fellow artpreneur is a parent. I have no clue how they can produce their own creative works, complete client contracts, find time to eat healthy and get exercise (see the sun!), plus post regularly on social media, all while parenting during a pandemic.
Seriously, how do they do it?!?
Obsessed with the idea that there must be a secret behind their time management prowess, I started asking every creative I met: How do you manage your time? And more specifically, what does your average daily schedule look like?
Here are some of the answers I got:
No dependents; a partner; a part time job (not related to art practice).
- 6:30am: Wake
- Morning: Write daily log and read. Catch up with friends.
- Lunchtime: Run, shower, lunch, and time with partner.
- Late Afternoon: Write comedy, edit, and watch other comedians
- Evening: Dinner, hang out with partner, watch a movie or TV
- 9:30/10pm: Head to bed
Editor & Digital Special Effects Technician:
Dependents (young); a partner; full-time artist.
- 7am: Wake & exercise
- 8:30am: Breakfast
- 9/9:30am: Emails & administration
- 10am: Work block 1
- 1pm: Lunch with family
- 2pm: Work block 2
- 4pm: Personal time
- 5pm: Dinner & family time
- 8pm: Work block 3
- Anytime between 12-2am: Head to bed
No dependents; no live-in partner; full-time artist.
- 5:30am: Wake & exercise
- 8am: Shower & breakfast
- Morning: 1 hour administration & emails; 2 hours working alone in the studio (i.e. creative time)
- Afternoon: Rehearsals with dance company + More admin
- Evening: Early dinner + A few quiet hours of reading
Dependents (older); a partner; full-time artist.
- 9am: Writing
- 12pm: Lunch break
- 1pm: Project for client
- 5pm: Dinner & time with family
- Evening: Social media
Here’s my current weekday schedule (I also work weekends after 12noon):
- 7:30/8am: Wake & Breakfast
- 9am: Part time job
- 11am: Contract work + emails (and sometimes meetings)
- 12:30pm: Lunch
- 1pm: Contract work (and sometimes meetings)
- 4:30/5pm: Dinner
- 6:30/7pm: Contract work OR meetings
- 8/9pm: Time with partner (or virtual hangouts with friends)
- 11/12pm: Head to bed
I mean, *technically* I’m getting lots done each day. But I would ideally like to also fit in exercise, my personal creative projects, skills-building sessions, blogging and networking on social media, and relaxation time where I’m not constantly thinking about the work piling up while I take “time off” (plus, you know, important house chores and whatnot).
Perhaps if I drag myself out of bed before the sun is up, then I could squeeze in some more “balance” (i.e. time for exercise and pursuing my creative inspirations!)? Maybe I’m seeking a magic solution where none exists. I’m not sure. All I know is that the days never seem to have enough of that precious commodity of time.
How about you, dear reader? What are YOUR secrets to time management?
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.